November 17, 2010

Illuminations Review

Josh Groban has finally released a new album and I am annoyed to report that it is a giant disappointment. The album is an unfortunate cross between Neil Diamond and Paul Simon. So to fully illustrate my feelings it's time for an open letter to Mr. Groban.

Dear Josh,

I'm confused. Why did you feel the need to completely change your sound? I understand the need to branch out and show fans who you really are, but instead of being enlightened I feel confused. I know the title of the album is "Illuminations" but what should I be seeing? I feel more disillusioned than anything. I almost feel guilty for saying this because if you were truly so unfulfilled with showcasing your vocal range and find pride in your new sound who am I to tell you otherwise? I have been a fan of your since the beginning but I honestly don't get it. The truth is after waiting 4 years for this album I was just expecting more.
I understand that you worked hard co-writing every single song but they kind of all sound the same. On "Awake" you were able to change it up by adding new sounds to the old stuff. The end result was magic. The African inspired music combined with your traditional classical sound created a multifaceted album that appealed to a variety of people. Although "Illuminations" was something that took a lot of time and effort, it resulted in only one sound.
Even though I don't like this new album I will probably continue to listen to it and hope that the next album is more reminiscent of your earlier stuff.

Love,
Ariel

No comments: